Thursday 14 February 2019

6th Feb 2017 - Dalton Crags (Lark ascending was not to be)



Monday 6th February 2017 - Dalton Crags 0900hrs to 1000hrs

Lark ascending was not to be
I watched and I listened for twenty three
Perhaps too cold to show so bold
Another day's fine to catch thy gold.

Five "tuck, buzzing" Hawfinches squabbled past,
they flew over "Beeches" without a brook,
So close above me with a silhouette look,
Which gave me a "beam" so good!

Mistle "whistled" like a distant Wigeon's woe,
Quiet, then loud he scratchily tried to sing,
Telling the World that Dalton is MY patch,
And to show another that he was THE catch...

Another strange call from a Tit so great!
Hundred's of songs for hundreds of hours,
This one you know, but this one you don't
I've caught you out again, thinking I was rare.

They piped away so pitiful in a sort of crying "peeu",
Much bullish colour and a white flashing bum,
A bird I like to whistle to, who usually sings a reply,
A regular around the Crags, our dear Dalton Crags.

(Activity on 6th Feb 2017 - Bryan Yorke)